Since being founded in 1960, thousands of young people have learned to sail at Salterns Sailing Club, developing a respect for the sea which has stayed with them all their lives. All have come away with a knowledge of sailing, most with a love of the sport and some have gone on to be great sailors, becoming national and international champions.
Many have applied their experience in running the club to running other clubs and in their chosen careers.
Once too old to sail at Salterns Sailing Club, all members (parents and children) become 'Old Salts.'
If you were a member and have stories to share please get in touch - we would love to keep the history of the club alive for future generations.
2020: Salterns 60th Birthday!
This year Salterns Sailing Club will be 60! We were planning a big celebration on Saturday 9th May at the Club, but the Covid-19 situations has postponed our celebration until further notice...
In Memory of...
Two of the Salterns boats are in memory of Old Salts who sadly passed away before their time.
RS Tera 'Jess' was named in memory of Jess Eales
RS Tera 'Olivia Inspires' was named in memory of Olivia Burt
There are information boards in the Salterns clubhouse with full details about Jess and Olivia.
Salterns Sailing Club has been a starting point and inspiration for national, European, World and Olympic champions in a myriad of classes.
Over the years, Gold Pennants have been awarded to Salterns Members. In the early years the Gold Pennant was awarded to those sailors who passed a challenging scheme. In later years, Gold Pennants have been awarded to Old Salts with exceptional achievements in the world of sailing:
- Guy Blatchford
- A Rand
- S Rand
- A Blatchford
- M McMillan
- I Deighton
- John Claridge
- Y Woodwell
- M Power
- V Woodwell
- A Little
- J Lasenby
- B Francis
- Pippa Wilson - GOLD 2008 Olympics (Yngling)
- Miss C Putt
- Miss Jemima Marshall
- Nick Thompson - Team GB (Laser Standard), 2x World Champion (Laser)
- I Watson
- R Watson
- D Hutton
- T Corfield
- Robbie Claridge
- Richard Mason - M32 Series, SAP Extreme Sailing Team (2017 winning team), Great Britain SailGP Team 2020
- E Dudley
- J Bates
- Sophie Weguelin - Team GM (49er FX), 29er (2007 Ladies & U19 World Champion)
- Thomas Dudley
- Hannah Snellgrove - Team GB (Laser Radial), 3x National Champion (Laser Radial)
- Tony Harris
- Henry Lloyd Williams - Team GB (49er)
- Sam Batten - Team GB (49er)
- C Cox
- Kirstie Urwin - Team GB (Nacra17), 420 European Champion
- Jess Eales - British Youth Sailing Team (29er/Spitfire), RYA National Champion (RS Feva)
- Matt Cornwell - America's Cup (Land Rover Team BAR / Areva Challenge / GBR Challenge), World Match Racing Champion (TeamOrigin)...
- Olivia Burt - European Laser 4.7 Youth Championships,
Laser Radial Youth European Championships.